Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: Lilo
There are ways to make points about the proper role of mandates or what should be included in basic health care without calling people sluts, whores or prostitutes or going off on jihads against the social changes of the past 50 years.

That's exactly right, Lilo. Limbaugh is a buffoon and a misogynist, but we already knew that. Hell, his fanbase already knows this, and they love him for it. I say don't play into his trap. He's LOVING this.

I think the original point of this thread was Rush's name calling, etc. Not whether or not this woman's point of view on free contraception is right or wrong. But to play Devil's Advocate about her stance on the matter, I'll openly state that I think she's wrong on this one.

I mean, why choose a Catholic school if these are your beliefs? If you're an Islamophobe, would you choose Al-Azhar University as a place to pursue higher education? If you're an anti-Semite, would you go live on a Kibbutz?

You can't tell me that---at least subconsciously---she didn't have this soapbox/fifteen minutes of fame on her mind.

Fluke definitely has an agenda and motivation. Not saying anything's wrong with that...I just probably disagree with it more often than not..

As you know I like the writer Steve Barnes. One of Barnes's mentors/friends and a man who is politically miles apart from Barnes and light years away from myself is the sci-fi writer Jerry Pournelle who wrote this about the Georgetown/Fluke flare up.

If the Republicans had been able to just keep it on this level they may have won. There's a good argument to be made about the balance of private/public choices, who pays for them and how strong religious exemptions should be.

But as the Georgetown President, who disagrees with Fluke's position, pointed out we all lose something when discourse becomes degraded.

It's finally been shown that if enough people push hard enough Limbaugh will back down. As Vito might say that is useful information to be stored away for later... whistle

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.