Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
"The informant said that he recognized a photograph of CARMINE GALANTE as an individual known to him on one occasion and said that he believes that he is a member of the Organization. He said that he is getting along in years and he believe that GALANTE may be in a "retired status"."

May be
is a different story than is. Also, I think Galante was in jail at the time when this was stated by that informant. And he doesn't state anything about "being shelved."

Quote:

"The informant said that although he assumes that the name "La Cosa Nostra" grew into popular use through some mistake he had never heard the Organization referred to in this manner until the year of 1963. He claimed that he had never heard actual members refer to it by any name and considered that this was not necessary.
He assumed that use of "La Cosa Nostra" may have developed as a result of some members talking in the presence of another individual who was not a member in attempting to make themselves clear to each other, one of them may have referred to the Organization as "Our Thing", and the use of "La Cosa Nostra" subsequently developed."

That's very interesting. As a non-Italian, I always had trouble with the "la" thing, which was artificially added by the FBI so they could refer to it as LCN, which they apparantly considered to be a nicer abbreviation. If I was an Italian, I would be insulted by such arrogancy.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."