Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
Galante was not killed for his transgressions. But he was stripped of his capo rank and shelved.

Sounds very unlikely. How did he become such a bigshot in the 70s after being released from prisonif he was only a soldier? It's been said that he was supported by most of the other caporegimes. And he was at least a capo by then, he must have been. I don't think other caporegimes would take orders from a soldier and the only one capable of promoting him would have been the official boss, Rusty Rastelli. And the likelyhood that Rastelli, who was Galante's rival, would promote him was very slim at best.

Lilo´s supporters within the Bonanno Family tried several times to intercede on his behalf but all failed. So he had followers who wanted him back into the boss´s grace.

We know that the Bonanno Family was reorganized after the Bananas war in a considerable way. It is possible that the bosses who gained power after the retirement of Joe Bonanno reinstalled Lilo back into a capo position.
Galante´s FBI files which can be found in the Vault is so heavily blackened it´s nearly impossible to read. Basically all info in there that is coming from informants are redacted. We simply don´t know how Galante gained the power he wielded in the 1970s.
But the subject is intriguing and very interesting. This is making me want to request his files just to satisfy my curiosity. I´m sure the processors at the FBI will leave much more open text to read than what´s available in the Vault at the moment.

[Linked Image]