Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Originally Posted By: JCrusher
it would totally be against character for all of a sudden fredo to be a vicious hitman/organizer.

Yes it would. And, after being portrayed as a doofus and weakling throughout GF and part of II, it makes Fredo's betrayal of Michael all the more shocking--and impactful. Michael (and we) never saw it coming. What's more, the boathouse scene (IMO, John Cazale's best) shows just how deeply he resented Michael and highlights why he betrayed his brother.

Originally Posted By: mustachepete
One thing that seems obvious is that information about Pentangeli became much easier to obtain once the senator announced that a surprise witness was coming. That's natural, as prople with information might open up once they thought the trap had been set up. So it could be that Tom and Fredo were both picking up the same information at the same time.

It just doesn't fit. I mean like i said there is a difference between jealousy and acting on it. Many people have been jealous but most of them dont act on it and try to have a family emember killed. the only corleone who has his family killed is mike

Could be. It's possible that the subcommittee chair was required by procedural rules to disclose his witnesses to Tom, acting as Michael's lawyer, and it might have made the newspapers.

But there's only one way Fredo could have known that the Senate lawyer, Questadt, belonged to Roth: Roth told him. And, if Roth told him, it tells me he was in with Roth far deeper than he let on.