Originally Posted By: Turnbull
To get back to the original question:

I believe Luciano would have been a big success today. He had lots of personal force, and the leadership qualities that enabled him to assert himself and his ideas among other powerful men by making them see what was in it for them to accept his leadership.

His background tells me he'd succeed even now: he was born in Sicily but was a thoroughly American businessman, enlisting the help of non-Sicilians and even non-Italians if he thought they could contribute. He created the Commission but wisely did not appoint himself capo di tutti capi because he didn't have to--everyone knew who he was. Instead he appointed Al Capone as "chairman" (a non-Sicilian and non-Mafioso) because he wanted to bring the Chicago Outfit into the new organization.. And he named Joe Bonanno "secretary" because Bonanno was a skeptic about new directions and needed to be stroked.

A negative: he had a fairly high public profile by Mob standards, although nothing like Gotti and Columbo. Some writers think the prostitution rap was a put-up job; Dewey allegedly wanted to get him for narcotics (which he was always involved in) but didn't have the evidence yet. Today narcotics would be even more dangerous.

The idea of a ruling body such as the Commission circulated anong the bosses already after the killing of Masseria. But the boss of bosses, Salvatore Maranzano naturally rejected this.
This is mentioned by Nicolo Gentile, the mafioso who in the 1960s wrote his memoirs which later turned into the book "Vita di capomafia".
After Maranzano´s death, the leaders of the two warring factions in the Castellammarese war, Lucky Luciano and Joe Bonanno together materialized the idea of a ruling body, a ruling council. Bonanno suggested it to be called Commissione del pace. But because Luciano pronounced it incorrectly, they named it the Commission.
Bonanno writes in his book that because of his age, Vincent Mangano actually was selected by the Commission members as the chairman and Joseph Profaci was selected "secretary".

Turnbull, I hope I don´t get banned for writing this post. smile

[Linked Image]