Originally Posted By: Frank_Nitti
"and there is no such thing as a "future balance sheet" in the sense that a company does one now for the future"

Oh my God it's called a Pro forma Balance sheet and it's used to project how the business will be managing its assets in the future. You can forecast i.e. change parameters in the Balance sheet for current and future years.

You say you're an economics major? I take it that means you couldn't gain acceptance into your school's business program. However you can still take finance and accounting courses for non-business majors if you're that interested.

But it's about real-life experience and talking to small business owners who aren't hiring or expanding and are sitting on cash because of the shaky economy and impending individual mandate.

Either way, the Hostess example would make a good case study, that's why I brought it up. wink

shit, your right i overlooked that aspect when writing that up. im more into the management aspects of orgs but also take finance, accounting, etc, for the record im an mba student at an ivy league school so saying i couldnt get accepted into my school's business program is horseshit

considering the dire straights hostess was in i doubt they had the individual mandate in mind in the short term as they couldnt even meet their immediate payments that were upon them

heres a little more on the health care law

"The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (P.L. 111-148) helps small business in a number of ways. Beginning in 2014, small businesses will be able to participate in small business health options programs or SHOP exchanges. These programs are simply state-based health insurance purchasing pools where small businesses are able to pool together to buy insurance. Small businesses are defined as those that have no more than 100 employees. States have the option of limiting pools to companies with 50 or fewer employees through 2016. Companies that are currently defined as small businesses and grow beyond the size limit will be "grandfather in". The purchasing pools are intended to lower the costs of insurance.

According to the Congressional Budget Office, exchanges are estimated to ease small business insurance costs. They forecast that premiums in the small group market will fall between 1 percent and 4 percent. The amount of coverage in the small group market is expected to rise by 3 percent.

The law also assists small businesses and small tax-exempt organizations afford the cost of covering their employees’ health insurance. If a small business has fewer than 25 employees and provides health insurance it may qualify for a small business tax credit of up to 35 percent (up to 25 percent for non-profits) to offset the cost of insurance, starting with the 2010 federal tax year. This will make the cost of providing insurance significantly lower. Starting in 2014, the small business tax credit goes up to 50 percent (up to 35 percent for non-profits) for qualifying businesses."

Last edited by Dapper_Don; 02/11/12 07:10 PM.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.