Originally Posted By: afsaneh77
Originally Posted By: Lilo
If I believed that eating pork is forbidden, or that women have to cover their hair and speak only to their husbands/male relatives, or that drinking alcohol or caffeine is sinful, should I have to post information in my place of worship giving directions to everyone about when and how to break these rules?

But hospital isn't a place of worship for a certain religious group. It is supposed to comply with medical laws and offer medical help to a wide range of people. Either they should pull out of the medicine, or comply with the codes of conduct that's required of any facility of that sort.

Yes, but it's questionable as to who exactly the HHS quote is referring to when it lists "employers who do not offer coverage.." since the mandate would include everyone except the literal brick and mortar church. Would the church have to put up such rules? Even if the Church does what it's done in similar situations and refuse health coverage for everyone it seems like this order indicates they would still have to tell folks where to get contraceptives. Free Speech concerns?

This particular mandate comes out of the Affordable Care Act , which the SOTUS has agreed to review but in addition there is a separate lawsuit just started that claims that independent of whether the Affordable Care Act is upheld in whole or part, this contraceptive mandate violates the Religious Freedom Restoration Act. Under this law, government can only interfere with free exercise of religion if strict scrutiny is used-meaning that there is a compelling government interest and the "interference" is the least restrictive way to compel government interest.

There's a difference between raising taxes to provide free bc for everyone, which the Church wouldn't like but would have no constitutional reason to oppose and requiring that the Church itself underwrite such activities. That's the way I see it anyway. I know that reasonable people can differ.. smile

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.