GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
5 registered members (Toodoped, Jimmy_Two_Times, TheKillingJoke, 2 invisible), 846 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,706
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,238
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,523
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,400
Posts1,060,169
Members10,349
Most Online911
4 minutes ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
Re: Stephen King [Re: pizzaboy] #627920
01/04/12 10:11 PM
01/04/12 10:11 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Glad to hear it, X. I just reread it, actually, because I felt it needed a second run to capture all its nuances.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Stephen King [Re: Sicilian Babe] #627921
01/04/12 11:00 PM
01/04/12 11:00 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I didn't re-read the book but I do find myself (especially right after I finished reading the book) thinking of George, Sadie and the story, AND the entire "era". For some reason reading the book put me right there and it was kind of nostalgic if that makes sense. confused

I do hope there is a movie cause I look forward to seeing it.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Stephen King [Re: ginaitaliangirl] #627974
01/05/12 12:46 PM
01/05/12 12:46 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: ginaitaliangirl
TIS, did you get a chance to watch it? PB?

I enjoyed it, Gina. I've liked Annabeth Gish since "Mystic Pizza," and Pierce Brosnan is usually pretty good, but it wasn't 100 percent true to the book.

Only click on this link if you don't mind seeing the changes the producers made from the book to the mini-series:

http://sciencefiction.com/2011/12/19/bag-of-bones-the-book-vs-the-miniseries/

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Stephen King [Re: pizzaboy] #628255
01/06/12 10:45 PM
01/06/12 10:45 PM
Texas
ginaitaliangirl Offline
ginaitaliangirl  Offline

Texas
TIS, I read the book awhile back and really enjoyed it. King made it a very emotional story to follow, so I was excited to hear about the series being made. I love the inside jokes that you mentioned - sounds funny!

PB, thanks for the link; I think I'll watch it first, though, since I know my curiosity will get the best of me eventually! I always like finding out which things they kept true to and which they did their own way when his stories are produced.

Re: Stephen King [Re: ginaitaliangirl] #631754
01/27/12 04:14 AM
01/27/12 04:14 AM
Texas
ginaitaliangirl Offline
ginaitaliangirl  Offline

Texas
Here's an update on the potential Shining sequel:

Article with video clips

Re: Stephen King [Re: ginaitaliangirl] #631825
01/27/12 02:27 PM
01/27/12 02:27 PM
California

California
I'd watch a Shining sequel. I know they did a remake of the original which wasn't bad actually. Though, nothing matches the original.

I still look forward to the movie version of 11-22-63. Anyone who finds updates on the project, please post info here. I, for one, am interested. smile

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Stephen King [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #631975
01/28/12 05:58 AM
01/28/12 05:58 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
I heard a rumour that HBO are re-making THE STAND and Ben Affleck is to direct it???

Anyone else hear this?

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Stephen King [Re: pizzaboy] #632088
01/28/12 11:59 PM
01/28/12 11:59 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I just Googled it, Yogi, and it looks like it's true. However, Affleck just picked a screenwriter, so it looks like we're not going to see it for a long while.

I actually loved the original mini-series. It had a fine cast, with the exception of Moly Ringwald as Fran. SHE was supposed to be carrying the future of the world?? UGH! She "Sofia'd" the whole thing for me.

However, the rest of the cast was top notch: Rob Lowe, Gary Sinise, Bill Fagerbakke, Ruby Dee, and Jamey Sheridan as Flagg. It stuck fairly close to the book, too.

Re: Stephen King [Re: pizzaboy] #632351
01/30/12 07:00 AM
01/30/12 07:00 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI

Speaking of "The Shining" movie, there is a documentary, Room 237, which is about the meanings of Kubrick's film. Evidently King, who was of course not a fan of the film, didn't participate.
Quote:

WHEN “The Shining” was released in 1980, many viewers, including the critic Pauline Kael, left theaters mystified by what they had just seen. Expecting a standard frightfest based on a Stephen King best seller, they got an unexplained river of blood surging out of hotel elevators, a vision of cobwebbed skeletons and a weird guy in a bear suit doing something untoward with a gentleman in a tuxedo.

Three decades on, scholars and fans are still trying to decipher this puzzle of a film directed by Stanley Kubrick. To them it’s only ostensibly about an alcoholic father, Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson) going more than stir crazy while his wife, Wendy (Shelley Duvall), and son, Danny, try to cope in an isolated hotel, the Overlook. Mr. Kubrick was famously averse to offering explanations of his films — “I have found it always the best policy to allow the film to speak for itself,” he once wrote — which has led to a mind-boggling array of theories about just what he was up to.

The hotel’s hedge maze, many Kubrick authorities agree, is a reference to the myth of the Minotaur; others have drawn convincing connections between the Overlook’s well-stocked pantry and the confectionery cottage in Hansel and Gretel. The more one views the film — and many of these scholars admit to viewing it hundreds of times — the more symbols and connections appear.

“Room 237,” the first full-length documentary by the director Rodney Ascher, examines several of the most intriguing of these theories. It’s really about the Holocaust, one interviewee says, and Mr. Kubrick’s inability to address the horrors of the Final Solution on film. No, it’s about a different genocide, that of American Indians, another says, pointing to all the tribal-theme items adorning the Overlook Hotel’s walls. A third claims it’s really Kubrick’s veiled confession that he helped NASA fake the Apollo Moon landings...

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Stephen King [Re: Lilo] #632376
01/30/12 01:23 PM
01/30/12 01:23 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Jonathan Demme Adapting Stephen King’s JFK Time-Travel Novel 11/22/63

Source: GiantFreakinRobot.com

Quote:
Stephen King has explored many different time periods over the course of decades-long exploration of Americana’s underbelly. He’s very skilled at weaving genre elements together with a vivid sense of place and a powerful nostalgia for the way things were — or at least the way people remember it being. With his most recent novel, however, he set his sights on one of the defining moments in our nation’s history: the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. Now, as is pretty much inevitable with King’s works, somebody is trying to bring it to the screen. That somebody is writer/director Jonathan Demme, who told MTV’s Movies Blog that he’s in the midst of writing the screenplay.

Demme is no stranger to horrific material, having directed The Silence of the Lambs back in 1991, but this King novel is unusually low in its things-going-bump-in-the-night quotient. Published last November, 11/22/63 is the story of a high school English teacher named Jake Epping who, through a series of strange events, travels back in time with the intention of preventing Kennedy’s murder. Once there, he finds things complicated when he falls for a librarian and realizes just how difficult it is to muck about in time and not destroy the time-space continuum.

It’s way too early for any casting news, but here’s what Demme had to say about the project:

It’s a time travel story. Somebody from the 20th century gets a window back to the past and they go back with the goal of trying to prevent the assassination of JFK. It’s an extraordinary thriller. It’s a great love story, also. It’s a fabulous book.

King’s work has a rocky history of silver-screen adaptation, and idea of trying to prevent the JFK assassination has been explored before, notably by Quantum Leap. As with most things, this one will come down the script, casting, and execution. It’s a long way down the pike at this point, so there’s plenty of time to speculate. Have you read the book? Are you excited about this adaptation? Sound off over on GFR’s Facebook page!

I just finished reading the book yesterday (LOVED it!). It's one of those stories that you can't wait to finish, but are sad when it is over. Demme is a formidable director and screenwriter, so I'm interested to see where he takes this. It's a HUGE book though, so I'm concerned about how much will have to be left out to make it "film friendly"...

The strangest thing happened after I finished reading the book. I clicked on the TV and there just so happens to be a JFK documentary on the NatGeo channel. It was pretty eerie watching the lead up to the motorcade entering Dealy Plaza after only just reading the climax of the story.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Stephen King [Re: pizzaboy] #632461
01/30/12 09:35 PM
01/30/12 09:35 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
My brother was over on Saturday. He was on page 800 of the book, and he finished it on Sunday. Once he hit the last section of the book, you really just can't put it down, can you?

Re: Stephen King [Re: Sicilian Babe] #632466
01/30/12 09:57 PM
01/30/12 09:57 PM
Australia
M
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica Offline
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica  Offline
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I just Googled it, Yogi, and it looks like it's true. However, Affleck just picked a screenwriter, so it looks like we're not going to see it for a long while.

I actually loved the original mini-series. It had a fine cast, with the exception of Moly Ringwald as Fran. SHE was supposed to be carrying the future of the world?? UGH! She "Sofia'd" the whole thing for me.

However, the rest of the cast was top notch: Rob Lowe, Gary Sinise, Bill Fagerbakke, Ruby Dee, and Jamey Sheridan as Flagg. It stuck fairly close to the book, too.

For some strange reason I haven't caught the miniseries yet. I LOVED the book. Epic in every sense. I really have to catch it, everyone says how true it is to the original.

I had to think for a second too, but Bill Fagerbakke also played the rascist hack Metzger in Oz. What did you think of his portrayal of Tom Cullen (easily one of my favourites in the book, J-O-K-E, that spells MOON!!)? He's always come across as a pretty good actor to me.

I noticed Marvel is supposed to be doing a series of graphic novels on it as well. I like what they did with The Dark Tower, Ill definitely have to check that out.

Cant wait for the movie! Hopefully it wont bog down in development and they'll start shooting before long.

(cough.)
Re: Stephen King [Re: Sicilian Babe] #632478
01/30/12 10:40 PM
01/30/12 10:40 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
My brother was over on Saturday. He was on page 800 of the book, and he finished it on Sunday. Once he hit the last section of the book, you really just can't put it down, can you?

You hit the nail on the head, SB! The final section of the book literally had me on the edge of my seat.

And I won't lie...I actually cried a little once I got to the end... blush

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Stephen King [Re: XDCX] #632482
01/30/12 10:44 PM
01/30/12 10:44 PM
California

California
LOL I read the last of the book on Christmas Day. I'm walking around my daughter's kitchen saying, "ok, just a minute. I'll be right there to help." lol I told her "if you only knew what was going on, you'd know why I couldn't put the book down." Big help I was. Ha ha

TIS

Re: Stephen King [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #632489
01/30/12 11:01 PM
01/30/12 11:01 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
I loved this book even more than UNDER THE DOME, and UNDER THE DOME was a fantastic read in its own right. I've always had a fascination with Oswald and the JFK assassination, and I love time travel stories, so this was a win-win for me from the get-go. King has a unique ability to transport his readers into the story, making you feel like you are right there in the thick of it.

11/22/63 is a story that sticks with you while you're reading it, and stays with you long after you finish it. I'm still having dreams about it.

Re: Stephen King [Re: pizzaboy] #632541
01/31/12 12:27 PM
01/31/12 12:27 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
X, I finished it, then went right back and read it again. I had to, because there was just so MUCH. The visit back to Derry, seeing Bev and Richie again, Harry's family and his sister who was like Lucille Ball, the bookie in Florida, moving to Texas, meeting Sadie, the plays, just all of it, and then Oswald and Marina, the other Russians, I couldn't absorb it all in one read. I had to go back and look at it again. And of COURSE I cried at the end!

Mickey, He was a great Tom Cullen. He and Rob Lowe (who played Nick) had a very good chemistry. When I see him on HIMYM as Marshall's father, I keep waiting for him to say, "M-O-O-N, that's how you spell Eriksen!"

Re: Stephen King [Re: Sicilian Babe] #632549
01/31/12 01:05 PM
01/31/12 01:05 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
I have it sitting on my table waiting to be read......and i have to say you folks are giving it a great build up cool

Re: Stephen King [Re: Sicilian Babe] #633209
02/05/12 10:05 AM
02/05/12 10:05 AM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
X, I finished it, then went right back and read it again. I had to, because there was just so MUCH. The visit back to Derry, seeing Bev and Richie again, Harry's family and his sister who was like Lucille Ball, the bookie in Florida, moving to Texas, meeting Sadie, the plays, just all of it, and then Oswald and Marina, the other Russians, I couldn't absorb it all in one read. I had to go back and look at it again. And of COURSE I cried at the end!

I've gone back and started reading it again. It's a story that is absolutely rich in detail and characters. King has a unique ability of painting a picture with his words, and I find myself yearning to get lost in the worlds he creates, especially in this book.

Re: Stephen King [Re: XDCX] #633210
02/05/12 11:18 AM
02/05/12 11:18 AM
California

California
Exactly right X. As a matter of fact, 11-22-63 story happens late in the story but I found myself wrapped up in not only the story but the characters, even minor characters (ie Green Card man?). In every flashback segment I pictured the town, shops people a certain way. For me many of the little things mentioned were nostalgic too. I can't wait to see a movie of it. smile

TIS

Re: Stephen King [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #634344
02/11/12 07:26 PM
02/11/12 07:26 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
I agree, TIS, King is a master when it comes to the little details.

After re-reading 11/22/63, I've decided to give DUMA KEY another try. I started it a while back but never got around to finishing it, for one reason or another.

Re: Stephen King [Re: pizzaboy] #634871
02/14/12 03:16 PM
02/14/12 03:16 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Because my husband is in IT, his eyes are usually too tired at night to read, so I got him the audiobook of "11/22/63". DAMN! It was expensive. I hope he likes it.

Re: Stephen King [Re: pizzaboy] #645618
05/01/12 07:08 AM
05/01/12 07:08 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Stephen King Daily Beast Column

Quote:
Chris Christie may be fat, but he ain’t Santa Claus. In fact, he seems unable to decide if he is New Jersey’s governor or its caporegime, and it may be a comment on the coarsening of American discourse that his brash rudeness is often taken for charm. In February, while discussing New Jersey’s newly amended income-tax law, which allows the rich to pay less (proportionally) than the middle class, Christie was asked about Warren Buffett’s observation that he paid less federal income taxes than his personal secretary, and that wasn’t fair. “He should just write a check and shut up,” Christie responded, with his typical verve. “I’m tired of hearing about it. If he wants to give the government more money, he’s got the ability to write a check—go ahead and write it.”..

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Stephen King [Re: pizzaboy] #645635
05/01/12 10:19 AM
05/01/12 10:19 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
He IS a charmer, isn't he??? lol

Re: Stephen King [Re: Sicilian Babe] #645680
05/01/12 03:53 PM
05/01/12 03:53 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
I see King has another new hardback out......a new Dark Tower tale. Damn but this fella churns them out doesn't he?? smile

Re: Stephen King [Re: pizzaboy] #645712
05/01/12 07:40 PM
05/01/12 07:40 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Just borrowed 11/22/63 from a coworker. I can't wait to start reading it. Probably not gonna get a chance until the end of month when I start vacation! smile

Re: Stephen King [Re: Irishman12] #645782
05/02/12 05:21 AM
05/02/12 05:21 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Not long finished that Irishman. I thought it was billiant, his best work for a while!

Re: Stephen King [Re: pizzaboy] #650744
06/10/12 09:54 AM
06/10/12 09:54 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Quote:

Stephen King's horror novel "It," which centers around a sadistic clown killer, is coming to the big screen.
Warner Bros. Pictures plans to release a two-part film that will be directed by Cary Fukunaga, The Hollywood Reporter said, adding that he will co-write the script with Chase Palmer. The cast has not been announced.

The 1986 novel is about seven young social outcasts in the town of Derry in Maine who are terrorized in the 1950s by an evil shape-shifting demon killer, dubbed "It," who appears in the form of "Pennywise, the Dancing Clown." He then resurfaces in the 1980s, when the children are adults...

New Movie

Winter is Coming

Re: Stephen King [Re: Lilo] #650748
06/10/12 10:12 AM
06/10/12 10:12 AM
California

California
Lilo,

I read about the remake and am looking forward to it tho most of the time the remake is not as good as the original. Still, that's one of my favorite King stories. smile I'm anxious to see who the cast is. In particular, who'll be Pennywise.

smile

TIS

Re: Stephen King [Re: pizzaboy] #650755
06/10/12 11:24 AM
06/10/12 11:24 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I just watched the TV movie yesterday and I'm not sure how they're going to improve upon Tim Curry's performance. I haven't read the book yet but am leaning towards it.

I'm currently reading 11/22/63 and LOVE it. If I have the stamina, then I'll read IT afterwards. I'm only 350 pages into 11/22/63 but it's so interesting. This is only my second King novel that I've read (THE SHINING being the first).

Re: Stephen King [Re: Irishman12] #650762
06/10/12 11:59 AM
06/10/12 11:59 AM
California

California
I12,

Aren't the characters interesting and isn't the era vividly described? I really enjoyed the book.

smile
TIS

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull