Originally Posted By: olivant
It prompts me to ask why Michael thought Tom would know Fredo's whereabouts. Of course, there's no indication why Tom would answer a question about Fredo by telling Michael about Roth. Also, I think that in the evident confusion that followed on the heels of Castro's imminent invasion of Havana, Fredo escaped just like many Americans escaped by obtaining passage on a boat. I don't think there was any time for Fredo to arrange passage with friends. Heck, Michael barely escaped.

Well, that's the thing that intrigued me about that scene, and prompted my earlier thread. Michael just assumed Tom would know Fredo's whereabouts because he knew or surmised that Fredo would be close to Tom, and that in a panic, he'd call Tom first. Don Cardi posted a convincing bit of made-up dialog to that point in the thread I referenced.

Now, that raises a couple of other intereting points (or at least I think they're interesting):

First,Tom surely knew that Michael wouldn't give Fredo a pass, and that when Michael "forgave" Fredo, it was only temporarily until Mama died. Do you think Tom ever contemplated warning Fredo that he was in a trap?

Second, Michael was practically frantic to get Fredo on the plane with him in Havana. But once he was back in Nevada, he just told Tom to "get word" to Fredo, when in fact he could have had Fredo snatched off the streets of NY and hauled to Nevada. Why the sudden shift?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.