The aside to Tom is a offhand admission that Tom is not as stupid as Michael thinks he is. It also could indicate that Fredo had already tried calling Tom and Tom told Michael or Michael would just figure Fredo would get in touch with Tom.

In the boathouse I still think that Fredo still had a tiny chance (perhaps a 1 in a 1,000,000,000 chance) to escape the full force of Michael's wrath if he had almost literally turned on his back and bared his throat. But no, he lost his temper, showed his deep resentments and also revealed he knew more about Roth's plans than he had let on. That did it.

I don't think Michael or Tom or any of the employees would have told Connie anything. But she's been around; she can pick up cues, especially from people she grew up with. I don't think she had any idea of what Fredo had actually done or the fact that Michael was planning his murder. She just wanted things to be good again. She knew her brothers were angry and wanted to make peace.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.