Originally Posted By: SC
TIS, you're old enough to remember Alabama governor George Wallace trying to block black students from attending his state's universities even though the state was ordered to do so.

He had state troopers surround the school building in an effort to block the students from entering. Imagine, he was taking the state's police force to back up his own political agenda. President Kennedy ordered an assistant Attorney General, backed up by Federal Marshals, to simply pass the Alabama State Troopers. Wallace ordered the troopers to stand their ground. The assistant Attorney General called his boss. President Kennedy (yay) federalized the Alabama militia. Wallace stepped aside.

These state vs federal government issues can be scary but they're also damned entertaining.

SC,

I sure do remember. Wow, what a flashback. How historic was that?

smile

TIS

Btw, I think I have a picture in my head that was in the newspaper regarding that story.

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 01/23/12 02:19 PM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon