Mods: Thanks for moving this, I meant to post it in General Discuss. I have no idea how it got posted in Movies and Television, beyond an obvious mistake on my part.

Anyway, the blackout's come and gone. Hopefully at the very least it led to more widespread awarance around the world when people tried to access Wikipedia's English portal. Apparently some of the contributors to Wikipedia fear that in protesting the SOPA bill they've possibly harmed their credibilty. First off, they seem to be missing the point; if it goes through, there could possibly be no Wikipedia, period.

Second off, while piracy could be considered a serious crime by some, as Bam pointed out, the bill has the potential to strangle off the sharing of large amounts of information. Proper citations, crediting, linking and acknowledgment should be the norm anyway when reproducing another persons work, but actually making it a potential crime is going way to far. The free flow of information is a cornerstone of "thes hare interwebs".

Originally Posted By: BAM_233
Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
SOPA would strangle YouTube to death.

I like YouTube. I want YouTube to stay YouTube. I want it to stay in business.

it could also strangle any forum because we could post anything (links, pics, etc)

Good points, and wholehartedly agree.

(cough.)