^ive never read about him being one of the shooters or having any involvement in it as well

i dont even think he was a Capo at that point, but he was close to Massino thats for sure

"Massino and Napolitano lured the three renegades to a sit-down regarding the future family leadership of the Bonanno family. Rizzuto came from Montreal with two Sicilian hitmen to join Massino, Salvatore Vitale, and Sciascia. When the three capos arrived with Frank Lino, the assailants Sal Vitale, Vito Rizzuto and Napolitano burst out of a closet holding shotguns and pistols. Trinchera, Giaccone and Indelicato tried to escape but were shot to death. Lino escaped unscathed by running out the door. Indelicato's son Anthony "Bruno" Indelicato was meant to be killed as well, but missed the meeting when the capos decided to take Frank Lino instead. Bruno fled New York, but when he re-surfaced, Massino and Napolitano turned to soldier Benjamin "Lefty" Ruggiero and associate Donnie Brasco and gave them the 'contract' so Brasco could become a made man in the Bonanno family."

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.