Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

There's way too much local jingoism on boards like these. And what a thing to get jingoistic about, a bunch of fucking thugs!

I don't get that phenomenon at all, it's fucking weird.

Some of those guys when they talk about their local dying/dead mob family sound like they are rooting for their city's NFL team or something. I call them "cheerleaders" because of this.

I've run into this phenomenon IN REAL LIFE by the way. Seriously, half the people I know from Youngstown (I'm in Columbus, and a lot of Youngstownites have fled here) seem to be weirdly proud of the city's organized crime presence and insist that there's still an all-powerful Youngstown Mafia controlling everything, even though it was destroyed at the end of the 20th century. I tell them there are no made guys left at all, and they retort "hey they just went underground - they WANT you to think they're gone". Others have reacted with apparent sadness when I give them the "bad news" about the status of the Youngstown Mafia. rolleyes

Not sure why they have such warm feelings for an organization that essentially raped Youngstown, made the city a punchline of morbid jokes, and caused it to acquire charming nicknames like "Murdertown" and "Crime City, USA".

Last edited by Ivan; 12/17/11 06:00 PM.