Originally Posted By: Mussolini14
Good explanation Sonny. Do you think Montanga's killers got the nod from the Bonanno's? If Sal was the Montreal capo they must have been expecting a decent amount of residual tribute money and they must be pretty agitated to see those plan foiled unless some arrangements were made before Sal was whacked to keep the cash flowing to NY.

I think Montagna decided that he should become the new caporegime in Montreal with the Bonanno family's approval. I think he may have even got some support, maybe from his old crew.

But I think it's hard to imagine that anyone from Montreal would have asked the Bonannos for approval to murder Montagna. They would have probably signed their own deathwarrant if they did. And besides, if Montagna was taken out because Montreal mafiosi didn't want an outsider to call the shots they would have never asked the Bonannos for approval in the first place.

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
The idea that an American was going to take over in Montreal is as ridiculous as the idea of a Canadian coming to Brooklyn or the Bronx and doing the same.

Not ridiculous at all considering the history between the Bonannos and Montreal. Vito Rizzuto is still a Bonanno member as was his father, and they came from Sicily. Carmine Galante came from New York and took over. Vic Cotroni was a Bonanno captain and Joe Di Maulo and Domenico Arcuri are likely also Bonanno members.

The writers of Mafia Inc., two journalists from Quebec with decades of experience, thought this was a plausible scenario. The idea that Montagna would take over in Montreal came from them, more then likely based on police reports.

And it's not like Montagna walked in and took over, it probably took a lot of negotiating and killings. I'm just saying...

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."