Originally Posted By: IvyLeague

Those smuggling routes were used back when the Italians dominated the heroin trade. But that really hasn't been the case for the last 25 years here in the U.S. And they were never in a position to control cocaine or marijuana here. Once again, the Italians importing and controlling a big chunk of the drug trade in Montreal is one thing. But there's little evidence to suggest Montreal or Toronto is being by the Italians as a way station for drugs to New York. Look at the DEA seizures involving drugs going north as opposed to drugs going south. Except for marijuana and ecstasy, which involve other groups more, there is no comparison.

Ivy, I agree that the Italians no longer dominate the drug trade as they did 25 years ago. But I think they are still involved, and partnering / using other groups (Motorcycle Clubs and other OC gangs).

I understand your point, but just because there are not a significant number of seizures going south does not mean it is not happening. There was an article in the papers here in Texas about the Mexican cartels (Sinaloa and Gulf) creating cells / networks all over the US and Canada. As I mentioned above, they are using fishing vessels, mid sea transfers to US and Canadian fishing vessels, which land in the Pacific Northwest, Eastern Seaboard and Canada, with most of it ear marked for the US markets. I think it was mostly cocaine, heroin and meth distribution.

I will try to find a reference for you.

Best way to catch the smart ones? Get an idiot working for them.