Originally Posted By: carmela
Originally Posted By: eurodave
Originally Posted By: carmela
I said it once, I said it a million times. Calabrians have taken over Montreal. Cotroni is at the top. Montagna was getting in the way now, apparently, and off he went.

I think you're right. Montagna was probably trying to reorganize the Rizzuto clan and he got in the way, as did Lopresti.

I know you're on Real Deal. You look up my username there: tagliafaccia (tag) and you'll see on those threads I have stood constant that Calabrians (Cotroni godfather) is behind the takeover, with some leftover Sicilians falling in line behind. A collaboration, but mainly Calabrian. I always maintained Montagna was NOT the man others were making him out to be. His getting hit was a long time coming.
He couldn't re-organize or take control of his own dinnertable let alone Montreal.

I think youre absolutely right. The Bonannos werent behind the taking out of the Rizzutos. Approval for the hit on old Nick came from Hamilton. No approval from NY was needed. When Sal came to Montreal the writing was already on the wall for the Rizzutos. Mafia Inc mentions that Sal had nothing to do with the 2 murders that happened within the 1st 3 months of Sals arrival (Del Peschio, Nick Rizzuto jr.), but that Sal could see that the Rizzutos had lost the confidence of the citys underworld, and he decided to join forces with the winning team. Seems like he was highly respected at that point and welcomed with open arms into the ongoing conspiracy.

Im only speculating, but it seems highly likely that he just got too greedy for power. He should have been able to work WITH the local Montreal mob and the other Calabrians, but he probably wanted total control, and it cost him. Just my guess though.

It should be interesting to see what happens next.