Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
[quote=NickyScarfo]What is your opinions that the Genovese caught a break by 9/11? Did the FBI's re-focus on terrorists allow them to re-group? Personally I can't see it however the family in 2000 compared to 2011 is there any difference?? I would be interested to hear what areas they lost power in this period.
Also I know that some rackets they have been chased out of by the law but have't they also made some new rackets such as the cramming and stock fraud scams?
[/quote
Nicky,

Yes, they've certainly picked up other rackets. That's how all business is, legitimate or not. You have to evolve or become extinct. But the loss of the garbage rackets and the Fulton fish market can not be understated. Those were devastating financial losses for the Genovese family. There was much more money to be spread around in those businesses. Yes, cramming and stock fraud shemes made a few people very rich. But the garbage business made A LOT of people very rich. There's the difference in a nutshell.

Thanks PB, to clarify I don't think their getting stronger or anything, just trying to get some debate going over the subject, didn't want to come over as one of those guys who are in denial over the mobs decline!

Last edited by NickyScarfo; 10/29/11 12:05 PM.