Originally Posted By: Frank
Originally Posted By: eurodave
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
That's some interesting feedback and thanks for answering my questions.

However, I doubt if there would be another Sicilian family that takes over in Montreal. It's been thought that the ties between the Bonannos and Montreal have pretty much disolved over the years. The New York families are now said to be operating on a local level and it's stated that they now have a minor role in drug trafficking.

On the other hand, maybe the Bonannos saw this as an opportunity to re-establish ties with Montreal mafiosi via Montanga as a representative. That would be an interesting scenario. Some say the Bonannos are severly weakened themselves and aren't in a position to be part of this. But they still have at least 100 made guys and hundreds of associates so it's not like they don't have the muscle.

By the way, I was debating with someone about how many Calabrians and Sicilians were living in Canada. Based on the amount of Calabrian crime families in Ontario and Montreal it seems that Calabrians are in the majority. I also remember reading this somewhere. What do you think?

There are still some big Sicilian players in Montreal like the Arcuri's and others which still represent Sicilian interests. As for the Bonnano's, I too excluded their original involvement but Montagna might have had something to do with it and might of rekindled the relationship between NYC and Montreal. The five families are weakened but not dead and recent international drug reports show that brokering cocaine from South American to Europe still happens mainly in NYC.

Calabrian's have always for the most part been more numberous in terms of families in Canada than the Sicilians. The Calabrian community as a whole is larger in Canada, but in the States it's the complete opposite. It's no wonder that so many heavy Ndrangheta members have been either deported or waiting extradition in the last few years, all out of Ontario.

From my understanding, Ontario Calabrians are divided into two distinct groups; The Siderno Group and Hamilton. The Siderno group has 9 Families operating in Ontario, 7 in Toronto and 2 in Thunderbay. All families are headed by one Boss who represents them on The Board of Control, or better known as La Camera Di Controllo.

Hamilton Calabrians are different in the sense that they've been in Canada for longer and come from a different part of Reggio Calabria.

Basically, The Siderno Group members all come from the Ionian Coast of Reggio Calabria, primarily from cities like Siderno, Roccella Ionica, Gioiosa Ionica, Locri, Plati and San Luca.

The Musitanos, Papalias, Violis and Luppinos hail from the Tyrrenean coast of Reggio from such cities as Sinopoli, Villa San Giovanni, Taurianova, Gioia Tauro etc..

The board of Control settles disputes between all factions.

The Sicilian families are less numerous in Canada but because La Cosa Nostra had a monopoly in the 70s,80s and 90s with heroin and the [BadWord]-Caruana-Rizzuto association, they were more powerful in scope and reach than most Ndrangheta families operating in Canada.

the canadian mafia appears to have become very powerful!! it looks like in nyc until the 80's : there are many families; very strong italian connection and a lot of them are italian born! furthermore they meet in italian social clubs like cosenza social club in montreal.
why no one ever talks about toronto families?as it seems to be they're powerful more than montreal families.is it possible?

Usually the quieter crime in a city is, the stronger it becomes. Blood and wars is a sign of weakness or change. The Toronto-Ontario mafia has been relatively quiet for the past two decades but it has silently built up an empire.

Generally the Ndrangheta tries to avoid the limelight, especially outside of Italy and Calabria.