Originally Posted By: carmela
Originally Posted By: Ivan

It is grammatically incorrect in Italian (like I said, in Italian it sounds like "the our thing"). I'm guessing the American guys who use it don't know the Italian language all that well. The Sicilians would have never said "la" to begin with.

I think the FBI may have actually been the first to use the "la", but I'm not sure why. Nonetheless, the mistake seems to have become permanent.

Not aimed at you, Ivan..but this really irks me when I hear this. Guys in Italy do not go around saying "Cosa Nostra" let alone, "La Cosa Nostra". So already that argument is dead.
In Italy, it is simply mafia, they don't refer to each as, "he's n'drangheta", "he's cosa nostra", "he's cammorista", etc.
They would say "la mafia" if anything, but really, they don't go around saying these things. They're very tight lipped people in Italy.

Didn't know that. I was always under the impression that mob guys used it as a euphemism.

I was just trying to point out that the FBI's little acronym sounds dumb if you know anything about Romance languages.

Anyway, if a native speaker of Italian wanted to say "our thing" (no matter the context), he wouldn't say "la cosa nostra", right?