Originally posted by BronxKing:
When I was 11 or 12 I snuck under a wooden police barricade at Yankee Stadium when the game was over, just to get closer to Mickey Mantle
Maybe The Mick was still nursing his hangover

I grew up right around the corner from Ebbets Field. I could hear the night game crowd noise from my bedroom window.

There was one of those old style places that we called a "candy store" (a counter with a soda fountain, a few tables, sold newspapers, cigarettes, candy...is that what they were called in the Bronx?) right across the street on Bedford Avenue. A couple of hours after a day game, Dodger players would show up for a bite to eat. This was 1955 or '56, of course, long before the days of food spreads in the clubhouse.

All the neighborhood kids would hang around outside waiting for the players, who were considered "regular people" back then, I guess, and they would obligingly sign autographs.

This was in the days when it was safe for a 6 or 7 year old to roam the streets with his friends unsupervised, and I had a whole collection of Dodger autographs. Don't know what happened to them though... ohwell

Nice to see you around here, BK.There hasn't been enough reminiscing by the oldsters lately.

"Difficult....not impossible"