Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Although romanticized, it was probably Michael's final recognition of Vincent being Sonny's legitimate son. Something what Vincent and his mother Lucy always wanted.

Why would Michael prioritize what they wanted over what he and Vito wanted for their whole lives? Namely, complete public respectability of the Corleone name. Re-naming the remains of criminal organization after Mancini would have been the final step.
And also, wouldn't it be higher honor to Vincent to have the criminal "family" named after him as undisputed Don, rather than being seen as another guy in somewhat unclear/subservient position re: Corleones like Zaza?

Quote:
Btw, welcome to the boards Celebel, I enjoy you're thoughts. smile

Thanks! Glad to be here. Kind of difficult to kindle a satisfying GF discussion elsewhere and I just have to talk about it, LOL!

Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
[quote=Celebel]Vincent's previous role is unclear. He could have been a nobody, or a big player in Zasa's organization.

I don't see how. Zaza considered him a punk and he wasn't a major earner either.

Quote:
I always thought his complete transition from a loud-mouthed hoodlum to a careful thinker like Michael was a little weird.

I found it really jarring - far more than Sofia's acting, frankly. Vincent's story just doesn't make any sense to me. Within a few months (IIRC, Michael was awarded knighthood in autumn and Mary is shot on Easter) he turns from a small NY hoodlum who didn't particularly distinguish himself by the age of 33 into Michael's right hand? ORLY?

Even Michael himself, who was a prodigy and had a much more useful background, needed years of apprenticeship. And it was still a stretch.

And of course, I don't buy Vincent being able to organize a murder spree in Europe either and on such on a short notice too. He probably never even left NY in his life before hooking up with Michael! Neri wouldn't be that much help either, he never operated in Europe.

Quote:
Keinszig was part of the conspiracy to deceive Michael, as was Gilday, which was more than enough reason for being killed. Mafiosi sometimes even kill people for looking at them the wrong way.

Maybe, but Michael didn't want to operate like that anymore and him being in the public limelight so much made it a bad idea too.
I mean, it was known in Vatican that he butted heads with them and then they die?! Even Italian Mafia operated much more circumspectly as far as I know.

Last edited by Celebel; 10/13/11 10:38 AM.