Originally Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica
Oh yeah. I forgot to mention I had my pocket picked one time. When I realized, my family laughed about how the Gypsies saw me coming from a mile away. (Mrs Meatballs didn't think it was so funny frown . Besides a grand total of 7 euro's, I also lost a stick of bubblegum I had placed in there for safekeeping. And who knows? I could have just dropped the damn wallet. I bet there's many guys that have otherwise lost something somehwere in Europe and just known IT HAD TO HAVE BEEN THOSE DAMN GYPSIES! NO WAY IM DUMB ENOUGH TO LET SOMETHING FALL OUT OF MY POCKET!

I hear what you're saying. You're saying "Meatballs, you dont know. You live in bloody Australia. Just cuz you went to Spain for a bit dont mean you know Gypsies." WRONG. When I was growing up I was best mates with this Romanian kid. And he, his siblings and his parents all strongly identified as Roma, as gypsies. They didn't live in tents, they didn't "teach their kids to rob and steal", they had their kids taught at schools, their father worked as a boilermaker and their mother made great food. These were great people. And lest you think Id mistake one family unit as indicative of more beyond that, there was an extended family pretty much spread throughout Australia, comprising a number of families, that got togetgher and did family stuff like NORMAL PEOPLE. Because despite what part of them are known for, they are normal people.

Im sorry to rant. I dont mean to. But the fact is there's tangents everywhere. For many years there was a deeply ingrained governmental prejudice against Australian Aborigines, basically accusing them of everything people assign to Gypsies, and cannabalism. In the States...well we all know too well what went on there. In China, it was the ethnic Manchurians. By the arguments onthis board, one could write off the entire Italian peoples since "they created the mafia, and some of them teach it to their kids". The entire German people could be written off, because, well, they were all basically cool with Hitler at one stage. By thst logic, every race could be written off worthless, no good criminals or otherwise douchebags.

what does you being friends with a Romanian family in Australia have to do with the Italian gypsie problem?

Saying that the gypsie problem in Italy is hyperbole and exaggerated because you knew a nice family in Australia who followed the rules is no different that someone saying all gyspies are crooks because they got mugged by a few.

The fact is in Italy many do live in tents and the majority are criminals. There are nice Romanians here in Canada too and I don't think we have a single gypsie but that doesn't change what is going on in Italy.

Not all Romanians are gypsies either. There are plenty of Romanian Canadians and we don't have any gypsies.

Mickey you know I respect your opinion and appreciate your knowledge and view, just some food for thought and I am interested in what you have to say to my response.

Last edited by Mussolini14; 10/09/11 05:42 PM.