It's rare, but my husband and I actually went out to the movies last night. My daughter wanted to see "Lion King 3D" with her friends for her birthday. While they watched it, we saw "Contagion".

The movie tracks a virus as it makes its way to the USA from China, thanks to an executive, played by Gwyneth Paltrow, on her way home to her husband and son in Minnesota. The horror is how easily the virus/plague is spread in today's traveling world. You will never look at an elevator button again without feeling a bit of a shudder up and down your spine.

With the possible exception of Matt Damon (Paltrow's husband), you don't really get to know these characters. It's more about the virus, how it's spread, how it kills, and how the CDC and the WHO try to figure it out and stop it.

While it may be a bit dry for some, the movie was worth seeing. It was quite realistic, no drama, as in "Outbreak", no miracle vaccine. Be warned though - bring some hand sanitizer with you. Trust me. You'll be reaching for it afterwards.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club