GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Turnbull, 1 invisible), 590 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,963
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,671
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,544
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,493
Posts1,061,857
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Gerlando Sciascia [Re: Caramela77] #614554
09/13/11 08:24 PM
09/13/11 08:24 PM
M
m2w Offline
Underboss
m2w  Offline
M
Underboss
"As an organized crime threat, the Mexican poly drug traffickers would be #1 since they dominate the drug trade thoughout the country. But a good case can be made for the LCN still being the most powerful organized crime group within the New York metropolitan area. Probably not elsewhere though."

the mafia is not the most powerful in new york only but other parts like new jersey rhode island boston etc...

Re: Gerlando Sciascia [Re: HermitKermit] #614565
09/13/11 10:28 PM
09/13/11 10:28 PM
Ontario
M
Mussolini14 Offline
Capo
Mussolini14  Offline
M
Capo
Ontario
Originally Posted By: HermitKermit
Originally Posted By: Mussolini14
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
The FBI has traditionally said that about LCN because that's been their investigational jurisdiction. Likewise, the DEA makes the same "organized crime threat" statement about the Mexican drug cartels.

As an organized crime threat, the Mexican poly drug traffickers would be #1 since they dominate the drug trade thoughout the country. But a good case can be made for the LCN still being the most powerful organized crime group within the New York metropolitan area. Probably not elsewhere though.

I think it's apples and oranges and it's aimless to compare a homegrown syndicate to a government backed cartel.
Mexicans involved in OC have actively shown themselves to be part and parcel govermnet and criminal.........not one and the other but both at the same time. For instance take a group of renegade army soldiers/deserters like the ZETAS. Would you consider them criminal organization? They took an oath saying they would hunt down drug dealers before becoming drug dealers themselves....they changed up because it was beneficial and the money was good. These arent gangsters these are corrupt soldiers/cops/politicians its why Mexico and most other 3rd world countries are in the whole they are in.......corruption.

Italian crime syndicate started in direct defense against the state...not with the state. Their oaths although violated recently withstood 200 plus years without anyone ever even acknowledging they existed. Mexico is a small fry and will go the way of the overhyped----Afghanistan Herion traders/ Russian cybercriminals ( note their no no Russian Mafia) Colombian FARC guerrillas-PLO who were the biggest gun runners of the world and the IRA who trained the most fighters by engaging in organized crime.

Certainly the Mexican government drug cartels are the bigger threat than LCN, even at the height of their power. A more Equal comparison would be Mexican cartels and the Sicilian Mafia under Toto Riina. North Korea should be considered too and 20-30 years ago the biggest threat would have been the Red Army.
Be that as it may, as far as home grown syndicates go like biker gangs, Bloods, Crips, M13, ect I do not doubt LCN to be the biggest threat.

Mexican criminal organizations are not backed up by the government and certainly not one and the same, sure cartels buy off politicians/municipal police/state police/federal police and sometimes army officials but they are not one and the same. There are police officers than join into their ranks but the police and politicians they buy off don't know their whereabouts or activities. Now it's a myth the original Zetas were part of Mexico's elite anti-terror/trafficking unit, most of the deserters were normal Mexican soldiers and were originally hired to be the private bodyguards of Osiel Cardenes in the 90s and from there they grew into their armed wing.

Actually it is not a myth. It's common knowledge that numerous government officials, Military generals, and LE officials in Mexico are partners and working hand in hand with the drug cartels.

You are arguing over semantics and splitting hairs. It makes no matter if the soldiers turned drug dealers were "elite anti terror soldiers" or just regular soldiers. Either way it is an example of a government worker becoming a drug dealer or hired gun for a cartel and an illustration of malfeasance at it's worst.

If it happened in the USA would it be more corrupt if 2000 Army Rangers or Green Berets started working for a drug cartel as opposed to 2000 regular US soldiers?

Last edited by Mussolini14; 09/13/11 10:43 PM.
Re: Gerlando Sciascia [Re: m2w] #614569
09/13/11 11:11 PM
09/13/11 11:11 PM
Australia
M
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica Offline
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica  Offline
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Originally Posted By: m2w

the mafia is not the most powerful in new york only but other parts like new jersey rhode island boston etc...

Cmon dude. You cant honestly believe that the remnants of the DeCavalcante and Patriarca families are stronger in their respective jurisdictions then NY guys are in NY. New York is the epicentre of LCN activity and always has been.

And as strong as the NY families may be, I simply cannot believe that they are more of an OC threat when compared with the cartels. Just look at the figures. The cartels are bringing in billions. LCN, millions at best.

(cough.)
Re: Gerlando Sciascia [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #614576
09/13/11 11:43 PM
09/13/11 11:43 PM
Ontario
M
Mussolini14 Offline
Capo
Mussolini14  Offline
M
Capo
Ontario
Originally Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica
Originally Posted By: m2w

Cmon dude. You cant honestly believe that the remnants of the DeCavalcante and Patriarca families are stronger in their respective jurisdictions then NY guys are in NY. New York is the epicentre of LCN activity and always has been.

And as strong as the NY families may be, I simply cannot believe that they are more of an OC threat when compared with the cartels. Just look at the figures. The cartels are bringing in billions. LCN, millions at best.

Mickey, I think M2W is saying the Mafia is also the most powerful syndicate in Jersey, Rhode Island and Boston ect, not that the mafia from Jersey, Rhode Island and Boston are more powerful than the 5 NY families. I could be wrong but that's how I took it.

Anyways I certainly agree with your last post Mickey. You can't compare a home grown USA syndicate with a cartels linked to generals and the army and high ranking politicians.

A better comparison would be the cartels and the Sicilian mafia or the Calabrian Ndrengheta who are believed to be responsible for 80% of the cocaine and heroin imported into Europe and whom pentito Antonino Giuffrè – a close confidant of Bernardo Provenzano, (turned pentito shortly after his capture in 2002) – alleges that in 1993 Cosa Nostra had direct contact with representatives of Silvio Berlusconi who was then planning the birth of Forza Italia.

Last edited by Mussolini14; 09/14/11 12:00 AM.
Re: Gerlando Sciascia [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #614592
09/14/11 02:50 AM
09/14/11 02:50 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Are you talking about an OC threat in New York alone or on a national basis?

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Gerlando Sciascia [Re: Caramela77] #614595
09/14/11 03:00 AM
09/14/11 03:00 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
National and transnational of course. Its silly to compare most groups with NY LCN on a regional power syndicate basis. But as a national and international enterprise syndicate, the cartels have it hands down. But people assume that because NY is still viable, there must be some vast LCN conspiracy still in operation across the country, and that as a whole they absolutely dominate crime in the US.

(cough.)
Re: Gerlando Sciascia [Re: IvyLeague] #614616
09/14/11 12:56 PM
09/14/11 12:56 PM
Ontario
M
Mussolini14 Offline
Capo
Mussolini14  Offline
M
Capo
Ontario

Are you talking about an OC threat in New York alone or on a national basis?

Ivy, How much money do you think the NY 5 families generate? I have read that in the 80's it was in the billions and Castellano was ranting that "its better to make 2 billion with less attention than 5 billion and have LE breathing down our backs" or something to that effect when explaining why he had a "no drug dealing rule" to the commission. I think the figures he spoke of were in reference to the entire mafia, not just the Gambino's We now know Paul only enforced the no drug dealing rule on people he didn't like.

I know they probably don't make as much now as they did in the 80's and they certainly don't make the kind of money the drug cartels make but what would you estimate they bring in in a year?

Last edited by Mussolini14; 09/14/11 12:59 PM.
Re: Gerlando Sciascia [Re: Mussolini14] #614622
09/14/11 04:21 PM
09/14/11 04:21 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Ivy, How much money do you think the NY 5 families generate? I have read that in the 80's it was in the billions and Castellano was ranting that "its better to make 2 billion with less attention than 5 billion and have LE breathing down our backs" or something to that effect when explaining why he had a "no drug dealing rule" to the commission. I think the figures he spoke of were in reference to the entire mafia, not just the Gambino's We now know Paul only enforced the no drug dealing rule on people he didn't like.

I know they probably don't make as much now as they did in the 80's and they certainly don't make the kind of money the drug cartels make but what would you estimate they bring in in a year?

That's virtually impossible to say. Even official estimates are all over the place. For the Genovese family, I've seen figures ranging from $100 million to $2 billion a year. Also, it depends on whether people are talking gross income or net profits. So I don't know how much stock I put in them. It's the same thing for the cartels and much of it depends on how you do the math. Most law enforcement and press sources use retail street value figures for narcotics, which are several times higher than the figures at the production or wholesale levels. That's why you may see one figure for $3 billion and another for $30 billion.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Gerlando Sciascia [Re: IvyLeague] #614633
09/14/11 09:48 PM
09/14/11 09:48 PM
Ontario
M
Mussolini14 Offline
Capo
Mussolini14  Offline
M
Capo
Ontario

That's virtually impossible to say. Even official estimates are all over the place. For the Genovese family, I've seen figures ranging from $100 million to $2 billion a year. Also, it depends on whether people are talking gross income or net profits. So I don't know how much stock I put in them. It's the same thing for the cartels and much of it depends on how you do the math. Most law enforcement and press sources use retail street value figures for narcotics, which are several times higher than the figures at the production or wholesale levels. That's why you may see one figure for $3 billion and another for $30 billion.

Yah I hear what your saying. It's like when cops find a couple pounds of weed an they claim the street value is $15000 because they give the price as if it would be broken own and sold in dime bags.

I remember where I heard that dollar figure from Castellano and it was from the movie "Boss of Bosses" starring Chaz Palminteri, so I really don't know how accurate that is.

Last edited by Mussolini14; 09/14/11 09:49 PM.
Re: Gerlando Sciascia [Re: IvyLeague] #614634
09/14/11 11:20 PM
09/14/11 11:20 PM
US
H
HermitKermit Offline
Made Member
HermitKermit  Offline
H
Made Member
US

I've heard everything but Mexican law enforcement and economics experts say it's between 19 billion and 80 billion dollars a year, I've also heard it's 40-60 billion dollars a year they get but who really knowns. I've also hear the Italian syndicates get up to 110 billion dollars a year but then again who really knowns.

Last edited by HermitKermit; 09/15/11 02:29 AM.
Re: Gerlando Sciascia [Re: HermitKermit] #614635
09/14/11 11:35 PM
09/14/11 11:35 PM
Ontario
M
Mussolini14 Offline
Capo
Mussolini14  Offline
M
Capo
Ontario

I've heard everything but Mexican law enforcement and economics experts say it's between 19 billion and 80 billion dollars a year, I've also heard it's 40-60 billion dollars a year they get but who really knowns. I've also hear the Italian syndicates get 110 billion dollars a year but then again who really knowns.

Yah it's not like drug lords and mafia dons file accurate tax returns and even the rats are unlikely to tell us true figures because they don't want the government taking it all.

Re: Gerlando Sciascia [Re: Mussolini14] #614638
09/15/11 02:43 AM
09/15/11 02:43 AM
US
H
HermitKermit Offline
Made Member
HermitKermit  Offline
H
Made Member
US
The FBI has traditionally said that about LCN because that's been their investigational jurisdiction. Likewise, the DEA makes the same "organized crime threat" statement about the Mexican drug cartels.

As an organized crime threat, the Mexican poly drug traffickers would be #1 since they dominate the drug trade thoughout the country. But a good case can be made for the LCN still being the most powerful organized crime group within the New York metropolitan area. Probably not elsewhere though.

I think it's apples and oranges and it's aimless to compare a homegrown syndicate to a government backed cartel.
Mexicans involved in OC have actively shown themselves to be part and parcel govermnet and criminal.........not one and the other but both at the same time. For instance take a group of renegade army soldiers/deserters like the ZETAS. Would you consider them criminal organization? They took an oath saying they would hunt down drug dealers before becoming drug dealers themselves....they changed up because it was beneficial and the money was good. These arent gangsters these are corrupt soldiers/cops/politicians its why Mexico and most other 3rd world countries are in the whole they are in.......corruption.

Italian crime syndicate started in direct defense against the state...not with the state. Their oaths although violated recently withstood 200 plus years without anyone ever even acknowledging they existed. Mexico is a small fry and will go the way of the overhyped----Afghanistan Herion traders/ Russian cybercriminals ( note their no no Russian Mafia) Colombian FARC guerrillas-PLO who were the biggest gun runners of the world and the IRA who trained the most fighters by engaging in organized crime.

Certainly the Mexican government drug cartels are the bigger threat than LCN, even at the height of their power. A more Equal comparison would be Mexican cartels and the Sicilian Mafia under Toto Riina. North Korea should be considered too and 20-30 years ago the biggest threat would have been the Red Army.
Be that as it may, as far as home grown syndicates go like biker gangs, Bloods, Crips, M13, ect I do not doubt LCN to be the biggest threat.

Mexican criminal organizations are not backed up by the government and certainly not one and the same, sure cartels buy off politicians/municipal police/state police/federal police and sometimes army officials but they are not one and the same. There are police officers than join into their ranks but the police and politicians they buy off don't know their whereabouts or activities. Now it's a myth the original Zetas were part of Mexico's elite anti-terror/trafficking unit, most of the deserters were normal Mexican soldiers and were originally hired to be the private bodyguards of Osiel Cardenes in the 90s and from there they grew into their armed wing.

Actually it is not a myth. It's common knowledge that numerous government officials, Military generals, and LE officials in Mexico are partners and working hand in hand with the drug cartels.

You are arguing over semantics and splitting hairs. It makes no matter if the soldiers turned drug dealers were "elite anti terror soldiers" or just regular soldiers. Either way it is an example of a government worker becoming a drug dealer or hired gun for a cartel and an illustration of malfeasance at it's worst.

If it happened in the USA would it be more corrupt if 2000 Army Rangers or Green Berets started working for a drug cartel as opposed to 2000 regular US soldiers?

Okay since you supposedly know the government officials that work WITH the cartels then why isn't the Mexican federal government after them? What party are they from? Why hasn't Mexico put a bounty on politicians, police and army officials like they do with cartel bosses?

I keep saying it over and over again, Mexico is not a weak state or a failed state, at all hence in a couple of decades they have the 5th largest economy in the world. Today they have the 13th larges economy in the world, if you see or research beyond the U.S propaganda, you will see the truth. What politicians are behind the cartels then? The cartels in Mexico and the police, politicians and army officials they buy off are totally separate.

Re: Gerlando Sciascia [Re: Caramela77] #614641
09/15/11 04:22 AM
09/15/11 04:22 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Of course most authorities will go off supposed "street value" by calculating as many full price units as possible. I try and go off the more conservative figure's calculated off a net profit basis. The thing that gets me though, is that even the more conservative figures for the cartels outweighs the more out-there ones for LCN.

Of course, LCN, especially in NY is phenomenon unto its own. Sure they're still goin relatively steady, but I think most wiseguys themselves would concede that the cartels are a much bigger threat to the USA then them at this point...although most wiseguys probably would say that anyway.

(cough.)
Re: Gerlando Sciascia [Re: Caramela77] #614643
09/15/11 05:03 AM
09/15/11 05:03 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
I knew of a guy that was arrested for possessing 10 ecstasy pills he had picked up (wholesale, so to speak) for about $150. Obviously being a slow news day, this local rag picked up the story and ran an article claiming the "raids" yielded nearly a grand in ecstasy seizures...bullshit! Even assuming they calculated the cost per pill as an astronomical $60 a pop (which no sane Australian would consider paying for disco biscuits) thats still only $600!*

Not since maybe the 90's was such pricing heard of. Even then, you'd have to be in a pinch. Which leads me too thinking they went with the word of some crusty old crime-beat reporter that got that figure stuck in his head decades ago.

*All research was collated in the name of er,science. Ahem*

(cough.)
Re: Gerlando Sciascia [Re: Caramela77] #614645
09/15/11 05:07 AM
09/15/11 05:07 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Im obviously not trying to compare some local university clown with anything actually OC related, except in that when looked at in the context of a news story or even sound byte, it's far easier and sounds better to go with the big round figure then get in to the real nitty gritty of it.

This thread got way off topic but.

Last edited by Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica; 09/15/11 05:10 AM.

(cough.)
Re: Gerlando Sciascia [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #614673
09/15/11 01:35 PM
09/15/11 01:35 PM
Caramela77 Offline OP
Made Member
Caramela77  Offline OP
Made Member
Yes this thread got way off topic poor Gerlando is rolling over in his grave...

Re: Gerlando Sciascia [Re: Caramela77] #614677
09/15/11 02:28 PM
M
m2w Offline
Underboss
m2w  Offline
M
Underboss
"Mickey, I think M2W is saying the Mafia is also the most powerful syndicate in Jersey, Rhode Island and Boston ect, not that the mafia from Jersey, Rhode Island and Boston are more powerful than the 5 NY families. I could be wrong but that's how I took it."

yes, it's what i wanted to say
i could even argue that lcn could be still the most powerful in chicago, detroit or south florida
concerning the most powerful in the states as a whole yes i can argue lcn is still the most powerful since other groups seem to be much more fractured and loosy organized
there are tons of domestic gangs but nobody is even close poweful like the 5 new york families although at their weakest today
the mexican cartels are a big threat but they can't be considered a domestic one they just sell drugs but they don't really control places in the states
they are what italian mafia is in european countries they supply most of drugs but in some countries they have not a strong territorially presence except germany spain france and others where thye are rooted

Re: Gerlando Sciascia [Re: Caramela77] #614678
Orange County, CA
Nicholas Offline
Underboss
Nicholas  Offline
Underboss
Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: Caramela77
Yes this thread got way off topic poor Gerlando is rolling over in his grave...

Hey, he was a drug dealer...

...and quite one for a Sicilian on this side of the pond

"The Feds are a business Anthony, millions of tax dollars are invested in watching your ass, sooner or later, just like you, their gonna want a return on their investment." --- Neil Mink, Tony Soprano's lawyer
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull