So get this. The missus like big, balls out action movies right? As such, she pretty much creams for anything with Jason "I only ever play tough guys, hitmen or a courier of some kind" Statham.
At the video store the other night, her eyes fall on "The Mechanic" and she snaps it up.
HER: "Im getting this. No, shut up, Im getting this"
ME: "Okay, whatever. But if you're getting a stupid movie, then Im getting out Jackass 3"

Anyway, once we get home and started watching it (her movie first, as per usual rolleyes, a bit into it, I realise its got Donald Sutherland in it (I think that Keifer spawning bastard is a way better actor then his son) and perk up a little. Shortly later, I realise Ben Foster is in it.

Now this movie (The Mechanic) is really no great art or anything, but I must say I didn't mind Fosters performance as a bungling, wannabe hitman. (There's more to it than that, but thats the jist. Statham's the pro, Fosters the apprentice, andn taken under his [Stathams] wing, he tries his best which just aint good enough)

My point is that Im more and more inclined to give Foster a chance. Sure he looks nothing like Gotti Jr, but remember its more about approximating a non-fictional character's mannerisms and personality than looking exactlty like him. Look at James Franco in the Allen Ginsberg biopic "Howl", Frank Langella in "Frost/Nixon" or Pacino in the upcoming Phil Spector one. There's way more examples of actors pulling off parts in biopics despite looking and being nothing like their subjects in real life.

I think people doing "casting calls" for biopics often stumble in assigning whichever actor looks most physically like the subject to the role, as if that guarantees it'll be pulled off.

(cough.)