Originally Posted By: fathersson
Originally Posted By: Longneck
Unemployment benefits got extended until November. In November it'll be a year I've been out of work.

Bought my first pistol the other day. Sure is purdy. And fun to shoot. Went with a .22 since I am not rich and you can get about 1650 .22 caliber bullets for the same price as 250 9mm. I'm not sure I've heard anyone talk about guns on this forum.

Just what I love to hear.....Must be nice. whistle

Stay home and relax, enjoy the kids, have enough extra money to go out and buy a gun, Pop soda cans and have a good time.... rolleyes

and shit the best part is they send you a check!
uhwhat

For up to a year? ? ? No wonder we have so many people trying to get into this country!

rolleyes panic frown

Haha. You have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

It's amazing what you can do when you save up money for a year. You might even be able to spend $300! I can't remember the last time I ate out for a meal or went to a movie or just went out in general. We save at least $20 each week using coupons, that number sounds low to me though, sometimes it's $50 in 1 trip.

I've been a stay at home dad this entire time taking care of the house, the yard, and the garden, oh and my daughter while my wife works full time as a Registered Nurse.

I've sent out at least 3 applications a week since November and I've gotten maybe 10-15 responses, a lot of times that's a "we've hired someone else."

I don't think you have any idea what the current job market is like right now.

Originally Posted By: Frank_Nitti
Yes, a young man who's perfectly healthy and fit to work should never be unemployed for an entire YEAR. That's completely ridiculous and does indeed equate to milking the system. I mean, I see 16 yr olds with zits and glasses flipping hash or sweeping floors all the time at malls or restaurants and you're telling me a grown-ass man can't find ANYTHING for 365 days???

What about waiting tables or bartending??? I know waiters and bartenders who bring in over a grand a week. Construction sites??? Whatever. There's plenty of work for a virile young guy who wants it.

LN isn't stupid, either. He's obviously a bright guy, and that's where some people get in trouble. They don't want to work jobs that they feel are beneath them or their qualifications.

As far as your situation, SB, again, it's about not being afraid to perform jobs you feel are beneath you or your expectations. It's not easy for someone who once made 6 figures to go to working the Clinique counter at your local department store, but those jobs ARE available, IF you truly want them.

When you factor in things like having a small child, having 1 car and a spouse that works full time, a job needs to pay a certain amount of money in order to just break even.

So yeah, a 16 year old with no bills or responsibility has an easier time taking any job that is available because they don't have to get another car, which raises their car insurance costs and gas, and pay for a babysitter, and they don't need health insurance because their parents give it to them.

It seems just about every job wants you to have a lot of experience and more and more companies are phasing out full time jobs so they don't have to offer benefits the retail stores you mentioned are a great example of this. Employers can afford to be extremely picky, and they know it.

Everything is slowed down as far as hiring (and the amount of work) everywhere. I didn't graduate college, and I don't have any experience in doing skilled jobs. I applied for a plumbing apprenticeship which involves picking up an application in the 3 hour window one day a month they give them out, filling that out, scheduling work keys tests, taking the tests for about 3 hours in a different city, and then waiting for those results to come in the mail, then you take them to the union hall and set up your interview, do the interview and then wait... I got the 25th best out of about 300. They took 2 people in for the program.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.