Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica
Still, as a crew of young Irish guys from Hell Kitchen, I thought they they did alright.

That was the problem with the show. There hasn't been a "crew of young Irish guys" in Hell's Kitchen in over twenty years. The area is now called Clinton, and it is among the most gentrified neighborhoods in Manhattan.

They should have set the show in the late '70s or early '80s and made it a period piece. The Irish gangs (like the Westies) are certainly an interesting topic, but to set in in the present day was just far too unrealistic.

As far the geography thing goes, I wasn't 100% if there was still technically a Hells Kitchen in New York at all. Being all the way down-under though I figure you'll cut me a bit of slack. smile

I totally agree that TBD may have worked much better as a period piece, but realistic or not, the premise of what a crew of young Irish guys would be facing if they were around today was ,I thought at least, an interesting take on the genre.

I mean, as great and realistic as The Soprano's was, watching it one could assume that most mob-bosses commit their own murders and that NJ seriously rivalled NY as far as mafia families went.
But its entertainment thats the name of that game, innit?

In any case, Im not defensive about TBD enough to not recognise it faults and lackings. As Longneck said, TBD was a "good idea done badly"

(cough.)