Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
I think the Outfit is comparable to the Genovese family's inner circle; a bunch of pretty smart oldtimers who run a tight-knit organization. I don't think the current Outfit needs many soldiers. If they need to make certain things done, they just hire a professional and make sure there are no direct ties.

I think you're not far off. In a number of articles in recent years it's been talked about how the Outfit has intentionally downsized itself and streamlined it's operations in order to make itself less of a target for law enforcement. It's no longer this large, omnipresent, entity that rules all of Chicago like many (who are living in the past) still envision it. It's now a small family, comparable to the other small remaining families outside New York. No longer will you find any non-Italians in the hierarchy like in the past. Like other mob families, the Outfit is an Italian thing now. I also think these figures we still see of 1,200 associates are outdated. Unless you really want to stretch the definition of an associate.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were as many as 60 made guys left there. But I also wouldn't be surprised if there were only 28, plus over 100 associates, as the feds cited during the "Family Secrets" case. The top guys, like DiFronzo, have interests in legit businesses. And the rest still have the bookmaking, video poker, loansharking, burglary rings, etc. They don't need an army of killers anymore because not that many hits take place anymore.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.