Originally Posted By: olivant
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Oh, and to Oli or anyone familiar with Constitutional law, what about this 14th Amendment clause that some want the President to use? Is that feasible? confused

TIS

It's Section 4 of the Amendment and it would appear to preclude the questioning of the federal government's public debt, whatever questioning means. The drafters of the Amendment used that language to distinguish legitimate US debt from that incurred by the Confederate states during the Civil War. If I were the President, I wouldn't hang my hat on it. Per the Constitution, he is required to make sure that the laws are faithfully executed. So, there is some basis for his increasing the debt limit, but that's a stretch.

Thanks for the info Oli.

I don't know. confused IF the president invoked it, I think as far as the public goes, most will be relieved cause this game has ended. He's been pretty firm however, saying he doesn't plan to do that.

I have no doubt the other side would want to impeach him should he do this, yet I wouldn't be surprised that if we default they'll try to impeach him as well no?

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon