Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

And someone like Scott B. hasn't given demonstrable evidence?

I'll start with my disclaimer once again. I like Scott. He's long provided a lot of good info about Detroit over on the Real Deal forum. And he's always been cordial, even when we've disagreed. But that said, to answer your question, no he really hasn't. At least nothing beyond anecdotal information he passes on.

Over the past 5 years his charts on the family have changed a number of times. And, to a point, that's understandable because an LCN family chart will likely never be 100%. But if you take his charts at face value, there's over 50 members still in Detroit. And not only does this conflict with FBI estimates from 15 years ago which had the family at no more than 30, Scott has said himself he's not 100% sure every name on those charts is made. He also talks about rumors of there being a few making ceremonies in recent years, but again that's anecdotal, and it's unlikely the family would be able to almost double in size even with adding additional members.

Then there's the problem of discernible activity. If the Detroit family had as much of a presence and was as active as he claims, one would think there would be more evidence of it. At least comparable to New England, New Jersey, or Philadelphia. But there's been only one significant case involving the family over the past decade - a gambling case involving about 15 people in 2006. Before that you have to go back to the mid 1990's when Tocco and several other top guys were indicted.

Do I think the mob in Detroit is entirely defunct? No. But it's a safe bet it doesn't have more than a couple dozen members at most at this point and doesn't have a whole lot of activity beyond the standard bookmaking and loansharking. It's not this powerhouse family thriving under the radar that some believe it to be.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.