Originally Posted By: TonyG
Originally Posted By: BarrettM
I know it's a controversial opinion. But if the feds were completely moral they would avoid catching Ligambi because for once, here's a Philly boss who doesn't kill everything that moves. Call me a fanboy. But I hope this isn't true.

Barrett, I almost always agree with you and find your posts informative and accurate. I have to disagree with you here.

While Ligambi's reign has not been as violent as Stanfa and Scarfo, one murder is too many, even if the victim is a criminal / mobster. The moral thing to do is to lock up anyone involved in violent and non-violent crime.

My uncle was a bookie and loanshark. I want to believe he never got violent, but the truth is he almost certainly did.

We are all collectively interested in LCN or we would not be here. I do not think that makes you or anyone else a fanboy. I also think it is natural to pull for the proverbial bad guy every now and then, and Ligambi falls into that category for many because he has been viewed as a strong, quiet, old school boss.

Thanks for the compliment, means a lot. In a sense I know you're right. I'm a little on both sides. I just happen to be bitter over the overall dealings of OC law enforcement units across the country. At times it feels as though they focus their efforts on dethroning the incumbent mafia boss before even looking at him or his associates. And as for other gangs, more resources should be spent on Mara Salvatrucha and US representatives of the Mexican cartels (although politically that's a whole different thing). The first priority should always be to eliminate the most violent wrongdoers. My problem is not so much that they locked up Ligambi, and it's a problem that wasn't completely in federal control. My problem is more that violent Merlino supporters have a shot at terrorizing the city once again. May not happen, but once again, they have another shot at doing so. (This is coming from someone who knows other cities better than Philly)

Last edited by BarrettM; 07/19/11 04:45 PM.