I kinda wanted to see, but wasn't really thrilled about actually getting, 1776 (1972) in the mail from Netflix. For once in a week I had a night to myself so plopped it in -- all 142 minutes of it, assuming it'd be some corny, gay (merry) musical adapted from Broadway.

Originally Posted By: Dave Heston via IMDB
The film version of the Broadway musical comedy of the same name. In the days leading up to July 4, 1776, Continental Congressmen John Adams and Benjamin Franklin coerce Thomas Jefferson into writing the Declaration of Independence as a delaying tactic as they try to persuade the American colonies to support a resolution on independence. As George Washington sends depressing messages describing one military disaster after another, the businessmen, landowners and slave holders in Congress all stand in the way of the Declaration, and a single "nay" vote will forever end the question of independence. Large portions of spoken and sung dialog are taken directly from the letters and memoirs of the actual participants.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind musicals -- Grease is one of my favorite movies -- but I underestimated this. I quite enjoyed it, actually! William Daniels (Knight Rider's KITT, Boy Meets World's Mr. Feeny (I was waiting for him to say "Mr Matthews" lol)) as John Adams and Howard Da Silva as Ben Franklin were terrific. And on top if it, I learned quite a bit -- those other signatures besides Adams', Franklin's and John Hancock's really came to life. Highly recommended!

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations