I last saw Bruce perform in Cleveland in November 2009. When they were walking offstage, Bruce and Clarence were hugging. I remember at the time wondering if that would be the last time I would see them perform together. Not in my worst dreams did I think Clarence would be gone less than two years.

Bruce and the E Street Band create this feeling of family and brotherhood among their fans. While I have never met any of them individually, I felt that I knew these people through the music. Clarence's death feels like the loss of one of my friends or family members.

What a terrible loss for not only those who knew and loved Clarence, but the void his death is to rock music. While best known as a member of the E Street Band, Clarence also played live and in the studio with a variety of musicians, ranging from Jackson Browne, Ringo Starr, Michael Stanley, and as recently on Lady Gaga's 2011 record.

Rock on, Big Man.

From Backstreets.com: a great piece honoring the life and work of Clarence Clemens Tribute to the Big Man

This is a great picture and summarizes the onstage relationship between Bruce & Clarence.