Roth’s primary need was to stop Michael’s constant encroachments on Roth’s gaming empire. But he needed a master plan to make sure he survived and prospered. I believe he constructed a series of win/wins surrounding the hit, and also faced some serious risks:

First, New York. Pentangeli was a source of monetary tribute for Michael, and his muscle was deterrent against mobsters trying to threaten Michael’s Nevada holdings. A successful hit would have made Pentangeli the patsy. The Rosatos would move against him immediately, ostensibly “revenging” the assassination of the guy who backed them. Pentangeli would either be on the run, or he’d have to fight a war that would likely divide his family. If the Rosatos won, Roth would have an ally in NY. If it came to a long, bloody war, NY would be neutralized as far as Roth was concerned. Win/win. BUT: What if Pentangeli won? He wae the only person who knew, for certain, that Roth ordered the hit. Once he felt secure, Roth would be a dead man.

Second, Nevada. Fredo would be the nominal heir, and Tom probably would be loyal to him. Tom had no ties to Rocco (Clemenza’s man) or Neri (Michael’s man), and he probably resented them because Michael had reduced him to “our lawyer.” But, would Rocco and Neri accept Fredo as their boss, and Tom as their consigliere? If so, Fredo’s coglioni were in Roth’s pocket forever because of his complicity in the Tahoe assassination. At minimum, he’d stop the Corleones’ encroachment on Roth’s gaming empire. And, with Michael gone, Klingman (presumably Roth’s ally) would hold onto his piece of the Tropigala. Sooner rather than later, Fredo would run the whole Corleone enterprise into the ground. I

If Rocco and Neri didn’t accept Fredo, he (and probably Tom) would be dead. But that would put the Corleones’ gaming licenses in jeopardy. Roth would move to have the Gaming Commission revoke the licenses because no one with the name “Corleone” was left to qualify for ownership. Guess who would get the licenses after they were revoked? Win/win.

BUT: Rocco and Neri were privy to the Havana deal, and I’m guessing that Michael, because he included them in his negotiations with Ola, promised them a piece of the action. What if they decided that they wanted to claim the Havana properties Roth was negotiating to give Michael?

Just some thoughts…

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.