Originally Posted By: Danito
Originally Posted By: VinnyGorgeous
Originally Posted By: Danito

I'm not a Christian, but I believe in these words:
"Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you" (Matthew 5:44)

What is the logic behind loving people who don't like you and may even want you dead? Did you love Osama?

Then what really gets me is "do good to them that hate you?." Let's say you're Jewish and the year is 1937. Would you consider inviting Hitler over for some burgers? Perhaps even give him a bottle of champagne as he's about to leave?

I think most of the Catholics on this board can explain this part of Matthew better than me.

But why dancing and shouting triumphantly about it? That has no greatness.

I can understand why some people might find that a little disturbing. Rejoicing over somebody's death always seemed very primitive to me. I can see Hitler and Osama doing that when people died. I don't find anything great in their deaths. If you ask me, their lives and deaths are both sad and pathetic. Two assholes who will always be remembered as assholes. You can't do much, but shake your head in disgust when you think about people like this.

As far as Osama's death goes, I'm more relieved than happy. I get the same feeling whenever they prevent some new terrorist attack from taking place.

"What is given, can be taken away. Everyone lies. Everyone dies." - Casey Anthony, in a poem, July 7, 2008