It was an interesting read before he started to ramble. That needed editing. The author is obviously intelligent and well read. His points about blowback are well taken. That said though I feel he is making an equivalency between OBL and US foreign policy or more to the point, US citizenry that does not exist. And I say that as someone who generally does support a more isolationist, less hawkish foreign policy. I understand OBL was not the only evil in the world.

OBL ordered the deaths of 3000 Americans, not to mention attacks in Kenya and elsewhere primarily because he was upset about American troops in Saudi Arabia. So killing innocent people is the way to register discontent? I don't see it.

Of course I am biased b/c my brother works in the financial services industry in NYC. He was in and out of the WTC all the time. If the attacks had been a week earlier or later I would not have a brother today.

I generally won't mock anyone's death but in THIS case I don't have a big problem with it. There are people I respect who do have a problem with the execution of OBL (a Nuremberg War Crimes prosecutor wrote in NYT that we should have had a trial) but then again if you murder that many people, brag about it and dare the US to come get you, you really don't have room to complain when they come get you.

Again, I can only be this detached b/c my loved one is still alive. Were that not the case I too well might be dancing in the streets. Is part of that ugly? Maybe. Maybe not. But it's human.

It's a good thing OBL is off the planet. To the extent that the author points out American hypocrisies, great. But is America any more hypocritical than any other country? I don't think so.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.