I think the characterization of the New Springville Boys as a farm team for the mob involves a bit of DA office hyperbole. The New Springville Boys were the name taken by a group of teens in Staten Island back in the 80s. Initially, they were just one of several groups of teens that formed something like a self organized football league. As I've said elsewhere, they were originally just one of many (others being the Sheldon Boys, Wanderers, Stallion, etc.). They even had uniforms made (the New Springville Boys had red Jerseys, in case you were interested).

Originally, all these guys did for the most part was play football, drink beer, and fight. Half the kids in my gym growing up were New Springville Boys.

Most of these kids had no mob ties, but many did (it is Staten Island after all). In any event, the Springville Boys had more 'bad seeds' than most, and a hardcore element among them became quite involved with some of the mob families (the most famous case being Chris Ludwigsen, better known as the Miami 'club king' turned informant Chris Paciello).

But that was 20 plus years ago; the very informal 'farm team' was farmed as it were a long time ago. I doubt any such group even still employees the name New Springville Boys, but D'Avanzo's 'crew' grew out of that. It's kind of self serving of the DA and the producers of the show to suggest D'Avanzo is a mob big shot. He's a 42 year old bank robber. Most active big mob players would steer clear of a production like this. If he IS a big shot in the mob, the mob has really fallen on some lean times.

Last edited by DrZacharySmith; 05/04/11 10:20 AM. Reason: annoying smart phone autocorrect typos