Originally Posted By: VinnyGorgeous
I was never opposed to having this motherfucker whacked out and I was never opposed to Saddam's execution either. However, I can not in good conscience back a war that was fought on false pretense. You can't compare that war to the death of Bin Laden. Well, not unless you're stupid and I know you're not. I've read your posts and they inspire me.

Thing is, Osama Bin Laden is actually the most successful terrorist in the history of the world. We all like to think that the goals of the Bush/Obama War on Terror were to establish democracy in the Middle East, but actually since Bin Laden began attacking the West 20 years ago, we've done nothing but withdraw our attempts to establish Western Democracy via Free Market capitalism and in the process have allowed the Islamic Revolution and it's counterparts to thrive. That's probably the only reason we haven't been attacked more frequently, and possibly why we won't be attacked again in the near future.

Bush didn't really declare war on terrorism as much as he gave into Bin Laden's demands and ceased U.S. efforts to democratize the Middle East. He allowed "free" elections in the Gaza Strip which of course to no one's surprise led to HAMAS taking power; and now in Egypt we see the U.S. backed Mubarak administration (which was a quasi Western democratic-free market capitalist entity) fall to the Islamic brotherhood.

Consider the facts and ask yourself who's really been winning the battle in the Middle East since Bin Laden began attacking the West 20 years ago; the forces of Western capitalism or Middle Eastern Islamism?

Iraq – When the US withdraws at the end of this year, the real battle for Iraq will begin. Pro-Iranian Islamist forces are likely to try to seize power from what they consider an illegitimate secular regime imposed by the US occupation.

Lebanon – Hezbollah recently withdrew from the government, has its own army, and is backed by Syria and Iran. A Hezbollah takeover of Lebanon is now more or less final.

Afghanistan – As the US withdraws this year, reconstituted Taliban forces will seek to expel Karzai’s government which has no popular support.

Pakistan – The nuclear-armed US ally has an unstable government which does not control parts of the country. Pakistan’s security services are linked to the Islamist Taliban movement entrenched in the North along with their Al Qaeda allies.

Jordan – King Abdullah’s tenuous monarchy rules over a population of 70% Palestinian Arabs, in two-thirds of the original Palestine mandate. Islamists view King Abdullah as an illegitimate Western puppet.

Saudi Arabia and the Gulf States – The Saudi and other royal families are totally unacceptable to Islamists who see them as rich elites ruling poor masses.

Yemen – is home to a new Islamist insurgency led by Al Qaeda elements.

Tunisia – is already in flux, its leaders have fled.

West Bank – The PLO has no popular support. An Israeli withdrawal from the West Bank could be met with an overthrow by HAMAS, just as they did in Gaza.