Originally Posted By: phatmatress
we could have a great thread on just the absurdnes and brutalilty and lack of common decency of the demeo crew. truely fearless people. truely moraless people. i think that's why i find them so interesting. because there really hasn't been another crew like them. ever. judging on roy's actions i believe he was a coke head. he was around more than enough of it. pharamcetuicals as well. don't really see demeo as a pothead even though he sold that too. also judging by albert's claims that he never saw his father drunk except maybe at a 4th of july picnic is all the proof i need to damn roy as an alcoholic. thats one of the first things that children of alchie's do. they defend it.

There seems to be a common theme in mafia books, especially when the family is supplying the info, that the men weren't heavy drinkers or touched drugs. I find that thinking naive, these guys are often around drink and drugs, and to think they don't dabble here and there is absurd. I think a lot of older guys probably stayed away from drugs, but the guys who grew up and lived their youth in the 60's and 70's had to dabble.