We've discussed this before, but I wanted to give it its own thread, and see if anyone has any new insights:

Why did Michael tell Fredo that Roth was planning to kill him, and that "I've already made my plans...Hyman Roth will never see the New Year."? He didn't need Fredo to help him ("You just go along as if you know nothing..."). Fredo was on the list of people Michael told Tom he couldn't completely trust ("Fredo? He's got a good heart, but he's weak and stupid, and this is life and death"). Although I doubt Michael at that point suspected Fredo of having an active role in the Tahoe shooting, it's clear he didn't trust Fredo with anything important.

Many of us have commented on the probing looks Michael gave Fredo at key moments in Havana, such as in his hotel room ("Anyone I know in Havana?" "Oh, Hyman Roth, Johnny Ola." "No, I don't know those guys."); and later at the Yolanda show ("Johnny, I don't think you know my brother Fredo." "We never met.") Since Ola and Roth were tight with Vito, and Ola told Michael at Anthony's party that he remembered Tom "from the old days," Fredo, too, would have been around them in the "old days"--and Michael should have picked up on that instantly. Some here believe Michael brought Fredo to Havana as a test, to see if he'd expose his possible treachery. If so--if Michael had any doubts whatsoever about Fredo--why would he tell him his plans, and give him the opportunity to tip off Roth?

Your thoughts?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.