My one and only interaction with organized crime (that I know of) was with these guys. Namely, Peter Milano and a guy who I was told was his son. Mid-80s, I had a summer job during high school working for a printer, driving finished jobs to the customers. Rome Vending, Peter Milano's "legitimate" biz, was in the same industrial park/office complex in Westlake Village (west of the San Fernando Valley).

Between trips the owner of the printing company used to send me over to Rome Vending to buy cigarettes for him. Every time I went there, Peter Milano and his son would just be sitting in folding chairs in the warehouse, which was full of palettes containing what I assume was vending machine fodder. He was always smoking, looked 90 years old even then. They acted tough in a pathetic way, and put out that I was buying two packs.

I seem to remember having an idea of who they were because a friend’s dad of Italian background used to frequent a restaurant in the area, called Milano (in Agoura), and told me some of the guys that hung out there were “mafia,” including Peter Milano. Don't know if it was his restaurant or not.