Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Best: A tie between "Five Families," by Selwyn Raab, and "Little Man: Meyer Lansky and the Gangster Life," by Robert Lacey.

Little Man was beautifully written. Lacey definitely knows how to put together elegant sentences, but I felt he didn't understand the subject. He did not understand how Lansky operated and the importance of the men that were around him. Lacey looks at Lansky's bank account, talks to the heavily medicated son Buddy and assumes Lansky was just a poor old man who had merely been a victim of flaky journalists looking to cash in on his name. I am not someone who buys into conspiracy theories or the legends of these men, but the truth is Lansky was much more complex than Lacey would have his readers believe. Meyer Lansky never owned property. He, however owned people who owned property.

I know that shortly before Lansky got in trouble with the IRS in the early 1970s, he had about $15 million in accounts that he had direct access to. Almost every penny of that was transferred to his brother Jake. Now $15 million in 1972 is $78 million in today's money. That is a lot of money and needless to say, Jake's family remains filthy rich. It is very ironic, considering the fact that Meyer's son, Buddy died choking on his own vomit in some very lonely circumstances.

Last edited by VinnyGorgeous; 03/07/11 10:57 PM.

"What is given, can be taken away. Everyone lies. Everyone dies." - Casey Anthony, in a poem, July 7, 2008