The whole Vegas subplot with Lucy, Fontane, Jules, and the various hangers-on wouldn't have worked on-screen, but I actually enjoyed the background they had in the book. It made the world a little more real to me.

I didn't really think much of Johnny Fontane in the movie, but I was surprised that I enjoyed his little plotline going through the book. I liked how he took Vito's words to heart and gave his previously-discarded friend a place in his new world. In a way, Vito gave him a second chance to be a more honorable person and Johnny took it and ran with it.

I liked the mention that Johnny showed up for Vito's funeral, despite the bad press it might get him. In the movie, you got the feeling that there were a lot of people who would pay their respects to Vito (other than the other Families), but it was touching in a strange way to see how loved Vito really was by those he looked after.

I was fond of film Vito, even though he was a criminal, but I got a lot more warm cuddly feelings for novel Vito.