Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Oil is finite. It is a mistake to concentrate efforts on more and more drilling, as the BP gulf spill should have taught.

Putting our money and efforts into alternative sources is our only choice.

While I agree with what you say about exploring alternative sources, I don't agree that putting our money and efforts into alternative choices as being our ONLY choice. We NEVER should limit something that effects the nation, especially of this magnitude, as being our ONLY choice.

There is no doubt that we need to concentrate more on exploring and developing alternative methods to produce energy and fuels. And we need to start doing it NOW! But at the same time we must ALSO find ways to use our own resources to provide our country and it's people with our OWN oil. Finding alternative sources is definitely a must, but unfortunately that kind of exploration takes time to develop and implement. And while we begin to concentrate on exploring and developing alternative sources for energy and fuel, we need to address the bleeding that is going on right now, at this moment. Allowing more drilling right off of our shores can help to stop the bleeding, or at the very least control it, until we are able to develop and use the alternative sources that we may eventually find useful.

Many thought and believed that the Ethanol alternative was going to solve all of our gas and fuel problems. All it wound up doing was drive the price of Corn through the roof.

Theoretically it was a great idea. However I believe, in fact I know first hand, that it was implemented way too quickly without careful and proper economical studies being made.

People in this country are hurting RIGHT NOW, at this moment. And while many of the alternative plans that this President has mentioned and presented may be great and will probably help this country in 5, 6 or 10 years, in the short term offshore drilling can provide a substantial amount of relief to the country while we are spending the 5, 6 and 10 years to explore, develop and implement the alternative methods.

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
we need to spend money on infrastructure and improve public transportation,

That would be a start.

Yes, that definitely would be a start. But in this economy, right now, where do we get the money from to build new infrastructure and improve public transportation?

Once again to make these things happen, and I agree that they NEED to happen, it is going to take a lot of time and money. So until our government can set this kind of plan in motion and hopefully implement it over the the next 5 to 10 years, until we can come up with the money to do these things, what do we do in the short term to stop the rising cost of fuel, oil and energy?

We start drilling offshore.

Drilling offshore for our OWN oil will allow us to breath a bit better, allow us to get away from depending on those foreign countries who are gauging us with their oil prices. Not to mention that the cost of drilling offshore for our own oil will be done at the expense of the private sector. It will produce an abundance of jobs which will in turn provide more income through payroll taxes for our government to put towards developing and creating better infrastructure, more efficient and reliable public transportation and the exploration of alternative fuel and energy!

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.