Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Originally Posted By: VinnyGorgeous
I'm just busting balls man, I know Carlo was one of the most powerful people in America at one point. I don't think he had more power than Jerry Catena or Benny Squint. Or Alo, who had guys like Lansky with him.

But yeah, let's agree to disagree.

At his peak in the 1960's and early 1970's, I think Carlo was the first among equals, so to speak. But this idea that he was the "boss of bosses" who had defacto sway over other families isn't true. There's never been such a thing in the American mob. And once again, being the top boss doesn't automatically make his organization the top family.

I think the Gambinos rivaled the Genovese in many ways for about 25 years from the late 1960's to the early 1990's. You could say they were #1 and #1A. But I don't think they ever supplanted the Genovese over all.

Ivy, I did not say or suggest that Carlo was boss of bosses, but I think it fair to say, and it is generally held, that Carlo had greater power than any other boss at that time.

Clearly, the Gambino, Genovese and Lucchese families were tightly aligned. I think Carlo was more of a puppet master - he was a great strategist. Some of it is legend, but some is fact.

After Carlo, the power moved back to the Genovese's because Big Paul was a limp dick pussy. Just ask Gloria (or anyone from the Bergin).

Best way to catch the smart ones? Get an idiot working for them.