Originally Posted By: TonyG
Sorry Vin and Ivy, but I think the Gambino's eclipsed the Genovese's under Carlo, for a period of time, not the whole time, but certainly for 5 - 10 years before he died. Don't forget he loaned Tommy Eboli $ and had him killed for not repaying, then pushed for Tieri to become boss of the Genovese's.

IMO, the Genovese's are the strongest today, and throughout modern history, but they did not have a clean run in the top spot.

There is no way to measure the wealth, but we can get a sense of power, and Carlo had it.

Something tells me that Eboli, even though he was only an acting boss for the Genovese, didn't exactly need money from Gambino for a drug deal. Furthermore, I don't believe Gambino was able to just kill a high level Genovese guy like that by himself. It's likely more complicated than that. Like when the Genovese killed the Gambino family's captain in Connecticut - Frank Piccolo. Castellano had given his OK.

And Gambino wanting Tieri to take over isn't the same as him telling the Genovese, "This is who your new boss is." Which, for instance, is what happened when the Genovese family installed Scarfo as the new boss in Philadelphia or Nicky Bianco up in New England.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.