Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Originally Posted By: VinnyGorgeous
Agree with almost every single word you said here Ivy. I'm not so sure if the Genoveses have always been the most powerful family, but we've had that debate before of course.

Like many others, I used to think the Gambinos were #1. I had read all the same books on that family, of which there are many, while there isn't much on the Genovese. I've read many of the same claims back in the 70's and 80's about the Gambinos being the top family. And I think during that time frame, they certainly rivaled the Genovese in many ways. But once you start to dig deeper, you get a different picture. You see that Carlo Gambino being the top boss in his time didn't automatically make the Gambinos the strongest family. Just like Massino being the top boss for a time didn't make the Bonannos the strongest family. Likewise, you see that the Genovese were not suffering from a lack of leadership at all like many thought. They just couldn't identify who was leading the family for many years, which of course, was by design.

The Genovese have always had an edge since the beginning. From its early stages in the Morello gang to the Masseria family later on. To Luciano and Costello after that. Then onto guys like Funzi Tieri, Tony Salerno, and the Chin. They've always had the most competent leadership. They've always been said to be the richest family. Even when the Gambinos were slightly larger in size, the Genovese were always considered wealthier and more sophisticated. It's the Genovese that are called the "Ivy League or the Underworld" and "Rolls Royce of Organized Crime." Not the Gambinos. Or the Outfit.

Listen, you may be right and you certainly know your stuff. I truly enjoy reading your comments and even though I don't always agree or view certain things the same way, you're certainly one of the most reliable and most knowledgeable guys in here imho. What bothers me about The Genovese family is how little we truly know about them. That is of course a testament to how competent they are. When you look at their past leaders, I can certainly see why you come to this conclusion. The Bonanno era under Massino has been of great interest to me and they were definitely getting very wealthy at the end. Now they may not have been as wealthy as The Genovese, but they were definitely on a fast roll. Perhaps too fast.

I will say this though, I've always seen The Genovese family as the most powerful family. The Gambinos may have come close, but they just didn't have the same reach and you've given plenty examples of that. Due to his political connections, Costello was quite possibly the most powerful mob boss in history. Then you got Vito, Jerry Catena, Joe Adonis, Benny Squint, Miranda, Fat Tony and of course Jimmy Alo. All of these men had control over hundreds and not just the same guys. They were bosses in their own right.

"What is given, can be taken away. Everyone lies. Everyone dies." - Casey Anthony, in a poem, July 7, 2008