Originally Posted By: johnnynonos
Don't know much about any other mobs but the Outfit. I would guess Chicago is down to 10-20 "made" members; the majority of their income now comes from the kind of pathetic racket of video poker machines in the dumpier suburbs around the city...haven't killed anyone (at least visibly) in about a decade.

I think the Outfit is more or less dead. The gist of the situation seems to be that there are just a handful of old timers sitting around collecting on their investments

First, average estimates for current Outfit membership is approximately 50 members. The Chicago Crime Commission estimated 70 back in 1997. More recently, the feds have cited estimates ranging anywhere from 25-50. Nick Calabrese supposedly identified 60 members during the Family Secrets case. And not too long ago the feds supposedly released a the names of 47 made members to the local Chicago press. And judging by the amount of continuing mob activity there, it's likely the total membership is closer to 50 than only 10 or 20.

Second, video poker is a huge money maker for the mob. That, along with sports betting, is the Outfit's bread and butter and brings in millions. And they are still involved in other traditional rackets like loansharking, extortion, burglary rings, as well as legitimate interests such as restaurants, strip clubs, real estate, construction, etc.

Third, as far as recent Outfit hits go, you have Ronnie Jarrett in 1999, Anthony Chiaramonti in 2001, and Tony Zizzo in 2006.

That said, I don't have the same outdated notions about the Outfit many still do. The Outfit was never the most powerful family in the country. That's always been the Genovese family. And today, the Outfit is one of the smaller families left. But it's certainly not dead.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.