Originally Posted By: tt120
consigliere seems like an important position to put an old timer in who's been around the block, knows everybody and generally gets along with everybody. i think it's weird in the 80s-90s with a lot of the new york families after the commission case the consiglire turned into a bullshit position. not talking about the genovese but the other guys. like the luccheses putting in frank lastorino or the colombos putting in carmine sessa. from the outside looking in those guys looked like general run of the mill thugs versus a wise old time guy. putting in yes-men or guys you like personally because they've made you a lot of money versus someone worthy of the position seems like a big mistake IMO. i wonder why families even have that position anymore tradition notwithstanding it just doesn't make sense today

You basically summed it up. The position of Consigliere is really not the traditional image people have in mind anymore. I wouldn't necessarily call it a bullshit position. It's just changed. But it may be becoming obsolete simply because the formal administration of a boss, underboss, and consigliere is becoming more and more rare as the families increasingly use acting bosses, ruling panels, etc.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.